Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Training for the WHOLE body

I often catch myself stuck in a rut. This could be the intersection of several factors; thoughts, work, emotions, and absolutely my training routine. When I inevitably come to this realization I often change everything in my life and re-assess. Healthy or not, it's a good catalyst for adaptation in and out of the weight room. This realization and subsequent action has caused me to change my training routine a bit and focus more on whole body development.

So what does whole body development mean anyway? Let's take the preacher curl for example. It's a seated isolation exercise. The only thing "allowed" to do work are your biceps... That's all well and good, but what about the rest of your body. I'm all about getting a BANG for your buck, so lets talk about how.

Number one.. STAND UP! Stop sitting down and doing exercises. The reasoning behind this is twofold, first of all, you are missing out on the activation of key stabilizer muscles in your legs, hips, lower back and midsection, aka the ever-so-trendy "core". Next, you are missing out on some serious calorie burnage! The more muscle mass you activate during an exercise bout, the more calories you burn.
Here's another blow your mind moment, you don't have to do curls to train biceps. Although this small little muscle group look great, bustin out of your t-shirt, there's no need to isolate!!! Heavy rows and supinated grip pull ups can hit those guns just as easily!

More standing and whole body strength to come-

No comments:

Post a Comment